Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Musings

Another birthday has come and gone, June 28th. My mom tells me I was born that day and a piece of paper she has confirms it, I don't remember a thing. Isn't it so gracious of God to keep that particular moment of our life from our memory. Wow, 38 years. It is hard to imagine that - really, and I am not even old.

I do remember a lot of things though. I remember my first new bike at Mowersville. I remember wrecking more than once on that bike and have the scars to prove it. I remember Bible School and sending off balloons and the big tent and all the kids. I remember when Dad brought home the new "rabbit" for the family. I remember cutting trails on the hillside as a young boy and receiving stern correction for that one.

I remember moving to Roseglen and setting up in a new house. I remember the tornado that came through. I remember being scared to go to the church at night because I was certain someone was hiding out in the basement. I remember going hunting for the first time and eventually shooting my first buck. I remember walking in the footsteps of my Dad. I remember the green mustang. I remember the long journey to school. I remember going to camp.

I remember Pleasant Valley and another new house. The big yard. Getting my first dog. Getting my driver's license. Driving. Wrecking again! Thankfully no scars. Going on my first date. Graduation. Going to college. Tears. Decisions. Confusion. Tears. Finally another graduation!

Ah, then marriage! What a day! She was sick I was scared. What a time. Honeymoon!!
Living with your best friend and learning together. Jobs. I remember all those things, not like my wife does, but I remember. Children, notice that is plural! All of thirteen minutes we had a child. And then more children. Their births were beautiful and I was there for all five! What a great memory!

Mistakes!! Mistakes!! Mistakes!! Yeah, I remember them as well. In living color with all too many instant replays! But isn't it wonderful, that just like I don't remember my birth, at the time of my new birth, God graciously forgets as well. All those mistakes that I still remember, He can't remember!

And so 38 years have now passed plus one day. I hope to live another 38 plus more. I hope to have a lot more memories. I hope to forget my mistakes. I hope that I never lose my memory and always have a clear mind. I hope to meet on heaven's shore where God forgets my sin but always remembers His child. And as the songwriter stated, "Life is great, and getting better!" And that my friend is "Just another typical day in the life of a child of God."


2 comments:

Barb (Glick) Kamph said...

Who is telling you that you are not old, you are an old man, oh wait no you cant be old cause then I would be old and I am not old.
Memories are so great. The good memories always seem to over rule the bad ones.It is great that God has no memory of all the wrong things we have done.
Great memory not sure I remember such details about my childhood.
Hope you had a good birthday.

Char said...

Please remember that I was the first one to call and wish you a happy birthday!!! You seemed to have forgotten or failed to mention it! It's worth blogging about -- it's worth mentioning -- it's...Happy Birthday Old Man!