Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday Musings - Losing a Friend




I lost a friend this week. Did I want to lose a friend? No. But is a friend really a friend if he is not friendly in return. It was just a dog, but he was my friend. I liked him. I liked his wagging tail. I liked how he greeted me at the gate every time I came home no matter what the weather was like. Wagging. Big smile. I put up with his bad habits because I liked him. I liked how he barked and was a good watch dog.

But my friend did something I did not like. He did something that scared me. He did something that broke my trust. He did something that threatened something I loved.
There is a big separation between like and love. I was forced with a decision. Do I keep something I like or worry about something I love. See, I liked my dog, but I love my kids!

So why was the decision so difficult? Why did my own kids not want me to make this decision when it affected them directly? Why was the car trip so long? Why did I choke back a tear when I left and petted his big head for the last time with his tail wagging? He was my friend. I knew I was making the right decision, but why the anguish and hurt?

It was about this time God came and whispered to me, "Son, why do so many people hold on to what they like, knowing it is going to hurt the one they love?" I made a decision this week, I liked my dog, but I love my kids! I released what I liked so I could have what I loved.

What do you need to release that you like so you do not lose what you love?









5 comments:

Alanna said...

Aww - I'm sorry! But the kids are more important! What about a turtle? They're not too aggressive. :)

Barb (Glick) Kamph said...

Sorry to hear about that, they become part of the family too, but yes the family is most important, always!

Miss Music said...

Hey, Marsha!!! How is it going? That is too bad about your dog...but I totally agree that the kids are most important. Thought about fish???(smile)
Hey, what is your email now? I tried bm5kids recently and it wouldn't work! You could look at my blog occasionally, I do update it some!www.musingsbymissmusic.blogspot.com
Love,Sharmen

Miss Music said...

hey, Marsha, it's me again...can you send me the link to Tracey's blog? I can't seem to find it. I haven't looked at it for awhile. And don't forget to send me your email address!!! Sharmen

Barb (Glick) Kamph said...

hey just wanted to add to a comment you left on my blog, whenever and I mean whenever you want to go swimming feel free to come any time so this is an official invite