Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sunday Musings

Recently my wife and I were discussing Trenton's seizures with a close friend of ours. Seizures are something that can cause fear in many individuals because of the uncertainty of what could occur or what will occur. Let there be no doubt, when our lil' guy first had seizures at the age of two, we were frightened and concerned as all parents would be. There were many anxious hours at the hospital trying to discover what was going on. There was this deep hole of hopelessness learning that there was not a lot we could do except make him as comfortable as possible.

So over the course of five years, you become accustomed to seizures. It is something that happens. Do we like them any more today as back then, absolutely not. Our other children all quickly recognize the signs and simply say, "Trenton's having a seizure," and we go and check that he is ok. There is nothing to do except make sure that he will not harm himself and help him when it is over. They are a part of our life now.

Now let me get back to where I started about the discussion with our friend. The comment was made along this line, "I'm not sure if I could do it." My response, "Sure you could!" Here is what my wife and I have discovered. When Trenton was having his first seizure and during every one since, though we were at a loss, something took over - Love. He's ours! We love him deeply! Love doesn't look at the seizure, love sees our little boy!

Every time we make our way to Children's hospital for another procedure, we see parent upon parent with children who are in much worse condition than Trenton, and you know how they make it, Love, that's how. I look at them and I begin to say, "Wow, how do you do it?" And suddenly I see it, it's in their eyes and being expressed to their little one - Love.

Just like God's love can cover a multitude of sins, our love covers a multitude of seizures, no matter how many. See, he is our boy and in our eyes he is perfect. And thankfully in God's eyes we are perfect as well because we are His children and He loves us with an even greater love. When I publish a post like the prior one, don't feel sorry for us, we love our little boy! As I watched my two boys walk out of that hospital, they were both my boys and I was proud, one with seizures, one without. Do I love them differently, no way! There my boys and I love them!


1 comment:

wildhope said...

I saw Bryan's parents on Friday and they said you were rejoicing! I was so glad to hear your were finally getting some good news. I am so sorry that Christians tend to talk forgiveness but don't really understand they need to show it.

Love you guys!
Garilee