Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday Musings

My wife and I were scheduled to sing Sunday morning for Worship service at our church, and as usual, we were having our typical Saturday night fight over what we should sing. It goes something like this:

Marsha says, "Do you have a song you would like to sing?"
"No, why?"
"Because we are supposed to sing tomorrow!"
"Oh really? You had a week to pick out a song, what is your problem."
"Well I thought you should pick the song this time."
"Well I don't, so go pick one!"
"What do think God would want us to sing?"
"I don't know, He seems to be talking to you at this moment."
"You always make me pick the song."
"I know because you never like my suggestions and you play the piano."
"Honey, go pick a song! NOW!"
"Yes Ma'am!"

(It is always best to fight before you sing rather than while singing, it is more spiritual.)

Anyway, I went over to the table to begin looking for a song. She had brought home a bunch of song books from church so I could find one. Thus began my search for a song as she spiritually began to view blogs and pray for all the families. (Blogs are now our prayer lists!)

We had old songs and new songs and songs I had never heard before in my life. It was interesting going through and seeing how many of the songs I knew. I would start singing the first few lines of the song until I came across another song I knew, then I would begin on that one. (You would have to be here.) Songs like, "Sweet Beulah Land," "When He was on the Cross," "I Dreamed of a City called Glory," "Blessed Assurance," and many others. After about thirty minutes of this, my kids were tired of hearing me and begged mom to stop praying over blogs and start practicing!

You are not going to believe this, after all my searching, she got up, walked to the piano, and said, "Why don't we try this, "One Scarred Hand." You have got to be kidding me! I had just spent over thirty minutes looking for a song and sure enough, she already had one picked out! She even had the music out ready to go. See if I ever look for a song again.

Well, we sang this morning and it went well, except for the one place where she tried to change keys in the middle of the verse. I believe she was praying for a blogger there and forgot what she was doing. I did find out some interesting trivia while looking for songs but for readers like Janella, you will have to come to the blog to view the poll question.

So there you have it, the family battle that is waged every time we are asked to sing. Please pray for us when you read our blog (its the spiritual thing to do) so that it does not get any uglier for us in the future.

4 comments:

Jon Plank said...

Hey... pretty funny. I could pretty much picture the whole thing (except Marsha praying for blogs).

I voted for 1923. I thought the song was called "I Bowed on My Knees and Cried Holy". But you would know best... since we don't sing specials, I have not spent the time you've spent looking through old songbooks.

Barb (Glick) Kamph said...

Cute story good to know your a normal married couple. Ya, I would have to sing the songs also. At least the women won in the end, good for you Marsha. Always like reading what you have to say on your Sunday Musings. Keep it up.

Alanna said...

Great post! I miss you guys! My brother is starting HS in the fall - I wish you all were still there for him! :) (I loved the whole "praying over blogs"!)

Unknown said...

In our family, Philip picks out the song. I just show up to sing it. It's a great plan!