Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday Musings - Memorial Day



Today I was asked to sing a special song for our Sunday morning service and the song was "It Has Always Been the Soldier." This was a new song for me so I spent a considerable amount of time learning the tune and rhythm and was not really listening to the meaning of the words. But through the course of this process, the words began to have their impact. One line in particular simply states, "freedom isn't free" and obviously refers to the many soldiers who have given their lives for our freedom.

You see, I wasn't born in this great country but as a young man with my family became a citizen of the United States of America. I probably took that day for granted as just another day in my life, but over the course of years, that day has taken on new meaning. I love this country in which I live and I admire the men and ladies who paved the way for what I enjoy. I now stand with envy as I look on and honor those who have served and bow my head in silence to those who have given their all.
My freedom wasn't free, it came at a great cost to many and I don't ever want to take that for granted.




2 comments:

Char said...

I was thinking some of these same thoughts yesterday...about us gaining full US citizenship almost 27 years ago! WOW - we're blessed.

Mamabear said...

Thankyou for not taking it for granted! Please pray for our guys every day.