Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday Musings





July 4th! What a special day in our country! A hallmark! A day that is celebrated far and wide. A day that symbolizes our freedom. Freedom to work where we want to work. Freedom to go where we want to go. Freedom to do as we please within the safety of the laws of our land. Do I agree with all laws or the changes that have been made since our founding fathers wrote them? No! But I still have freedom to voice my opinion and state how I feel about them. It's called freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech. Now that is an interesting freedom. I can say whatever I want because I have that freedom. Is it always wise to say whatever I want? I have discovered it is not! I have the freedom to yell at the car in front of me who has an idiot driver. (Oops I said it.) Probably safe since I am in my car but not prudent. I have the freedom to tell someone that their outfit is absolutely terrible and it looks hideous on their less-than-impressive frame. I could do that but certainly not wise no matter what I may think or how correct I may be. I can even use this blog to say whatever I want because it is mine and no one can tell me otherwise. I have freedom of speech granted to me by the Constitution of the United States of America and I am going to use it, and bless my heart, I am going to say whatever is on my mind.

That is, until I open God's Holy Word and He reminds us how dangerous our tongue can be and how quickly it can hurt and destroy. How it cuts and tears down and causes discord. How it is such a small thing and yet can bring down nations. And suddenly my freedom of speech is regulated by a Higher Power whereby I have the freedom to say what I want, but I choose not to use it. That, my friend, is easy to write, but oh so difficult to accomplish. Freedom is not always what it is made out to be.


P.S. The answer to last week's poll is three!!!

No comments: